Traveling Luck for Turks and Caicos Islands
Turks and Caicos Islands, North America
Turks and Caicos Islands is located in Caribbean, two island groups in the North Atlantic Ocean, southeast of The Bahamas, north of Haiti.
Land in Turks and Caicos Islands is low, flat limestone; extensive marshes and mangrove swamps.
none land covers an area of 430 square kilometers which is 2.5 times the size of Washington, DC
As for the none climate; tropical; marine; moderated by trade winds; sunny and relatively dry.
none speak English (official).
none National Map
Regions of Turks and Caicos Islands
The islands were part of the UK's Jamaican colony until 1962, when they assumed the status of a separate crown colony upon Jamaica's independence. The governor of The Bahamas oversaw affairs from 1965 to 1973. With Bahamian independence, the islands received a separate governor in 1973. Although independence was agreed upon for 1982, the policy was reversed and the islands remain a British overseas territory.
The Turks and Caicos economy is based on tourism, fishing, and offshore financial services. Most capital goods and food for domestic consumption are imported. The US is the leading source of tourists, accounting for more than half of the annual 93,000 visitors in the late 1990s. Major sources of government revenue also include fees from offshore financial activities and customs receipts.
none natural resources include spiny lobster, conch
about 40 islands (eight inhabited)
none religion is Baptist 40%, Anglican 18%, Methodist 16%, Church of God 12%, other 14% (1990).
Natural hazards in Turks and Caicos Islands include frequent hurricanes.
- The Turks and Caicos Islands are a British Overseas Territory. There is no formal British diplomatic or consular representation in the Turks and Caicos Islands and the local authorities deal with all requests for consular assistance. The General section of this travel advice gives you more information about this.
- Most visits to the Turks and Caicos Islands are trouble-free. But you should nonetheless take sensible precautions against petty crime.
- Possession of drugs is illegal.
- The hurricane season in the Turks and Caicos Islands normally runs from June to November. Please see Natural Disasters section of this Travel Advice and Hurricanes for more information.
- The threat from terrorism is low. But you should be aware of the global risk of indiscriminate terrorist attacks which could be against civilian targets, including places frequented by foreigners.
- We strongly recommend that you obtain comprehensive travel and medical insurance before travelling. You should check any exclusions, and that your policy covers you for the activities you want to undertake. Please see: Travel Insurance.
SAFETY AND SECURITY
The Turks & Caicos Islands is a British Overseas Territory; there is no British diplomatic or consular representation. The Royal Turks & Caicos Islands Police Force will assist with crime related matters and can be contacted on (+1) (649) 946 2399 (Grand Turk) or (+1) (649) 946 5567 (Providenciales).
You should take particular care to safeguard British passports as these can only be replaced outside the Turks and Caicos Islands. You should report the theft or loss of a British passport immediately to the police (from whom a written report must be obtained) and to the Director of Immigration (tel: +1 649 946 2939/2700). In an absolute emergency the Department of Immigration will be able to issue emergency travel documents (not valid for travel through the United States of America).
In an absolute emergency the Turks & Caicos Islands Government Department of Immigration will be able to issue emergency travel documents (not valid for travel through the United States of America) and the Royal Turks & Caicos Islands Police Force will assist with other crime related matters.
All applications for renewal of British passports from British Citizens resident in the Turks and Caicos Islands, who acquired their citizenship other than through the Overseas Territories Act 2002, must be submitted on application form SE/O4/01 to the Immigration Department, Grand Turk. It will then be sent to Identity and Passports Service (previously known as United Kingdom Passport Service) for processing.